Can an assessment and recommendations by Thrive OT be used for my child’s Education and Health Care Plan or does the assessment need to be provided by a statutory occupational therapist?

As Independent Occuaptional Therapists (private) it is our professional duty to provide a fully independent and unbiased assessment and to make recommendations according to the child’s individual needs. We are regulated by the Health Care and Professions Council (HCPC) each holding a unique registration number, and members of the Royal College of Occupational Therapists. Input for an Education and Health Care Plan (EHCP) or statement can be provided by a private OR statutory occupational therapist.  The occupational therapist, regardless of their professional setting, is required to provide recommendations based on the needs of the child and not the resources available.  Please see IPSEA website for Common Myths regarding therapy services and EHCPs. Common myth 2

If a child requires occupational therapy for learning (not related to a health need), it should be included in Part 2 and 3 of the EHC Plan.  The responsibility for providing that service then ultimately falls on the Local Authority (LA).  Common myth 1

Please contact IPSEA or SOS!SEN if you have any further questions regarding therapies and the EHCP.

What is Occupational Therapy?

Occupational therapy is a health profession which aims to facilitate a child’s engagement, participation and performance in every day meaningful activities. We apply theory and evidence to achieve the best outcomes for our clients. Interventions are based on psychological, cognitive, behavioural, neurological, occupational science and sensory integration theory.

For more information go to:

What are your rates?

Please contact us as our fees are based on the type of service you require.  We have subsidised rates for parents and charities.